Thursday, October 23, 2008

"Not only is another world possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing."

Thursday nights are always such a relief. This Thursday in particular is a welcome reprieve. I do have class on Friday, but only one in the morning and then I usually work the rest of the day. Granted, Fridays and weekends are never particularly restful- but there's still a release of pressure that is so necessary after a week of constant motion.

I had a midterm on Tuesday morning, presentation Tuesday afternoon and turned in a paper this evening. In the midst of that there was a lot of working, a lot of studying, a lot of fair trade stuff... just a lot of stuff in general. Next week looks to be something of a reprieve at least academically between midterms and the final push. It's almost November! Weeks just seem to fly by...

This Thursday is also particularly worthy of celebration because of all the small victories that were accomplished this week and all the things I have to look forward to this weekend. Victories to celebrate include:
*I've been working really hard on fundraising for a group of students from our fair trade group on campus to fly to Seattle for an international conference and we ALL HAVE TICKETS! It may not sound like a huge deal- but we were able to raise the funds to purchase 4 tickets and mine was sponsored by Oxfam- and 4 plane tickets to Seattle is no small deal! I was elated upon receiving the email confirmation of those tickets.
*Things seem to be coming together for an events we have on campus the next couple of weeks- somehow it always still astounds me when things seem to work together so well- so I'm hoping it continues to go well!
*My roommates from last year and I have been trying to get to dinner together for several weeks now and we finally succeeded tonight! Not only did we go to one of my favorite restaurants in the District, but we just sat and talked and absorbed each other's company and it was so nice to take a break from campus and enjoy a nice meal and good company.

Things I'm looking forward to:
*I'm going to a soccer game on Saturday- and with a family to watch their son! I'm probably a little too excited about it- but almost anything that's reminiscent of my life before "college" was the defining word makes me happy.
*My aunts will be here this weekend!! I'll get my winter coat (it's cold here!) and get to hang out with two of my favorite people!

All in all- I can't complain. The to-do lists are ever growing and often overwhelming, the laundry and dishes always pile up too quickly and I have so much reading to do this weekend- but there is so much that is going well.

Happy Thursday!

No comments: