Hello! My name is Anna. I am from America.
We had our first Arabic lesson last night and I am very excited to start learning more each week. Our teacher is very good at getting us into conversation as soon as we learn words and phrases, which I think will help us feel more comfortable actually using the language. As you can see that I've already started a sticky note system for studying!
It's easy to remember the word for "I" because it's basically my name: "ana." The word for "yes" is "aywa" and pretty much sounds just like "Iowa!" :-) Gotta love it...
I have now completed two weeks of work. For right now, I work Monday-Thursday from 8am-3pm because we are still doing some continuing education with the YAGM program on the weekends. A l
This coming week we will be in retreat in the Galilee Monday through Wednesday because it is the Eid al-Fitr, which is the celebration marking the end of Ramadan. Coincidentally, it is also Rash Hashanah and next weekend will be Yom Kippur. It has been Ramadan the whole time we've been here and I am excited to see what will change once it is over. One thing I know is that we will be able to eat and drink in public, which up til now is something you would only have caught thoughtless tourists doing. During Ramadan, Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset and this includes not drinking or smoking. As a courtesy, Christians generally do not eat in public or drink water while walking down the street. We have tried to be attentive to this as well and sometimes it has been difficult to not whip out the water bottle!
The other thing that will change in some way will be the bus schedule, though I am not sure exactly how it will change yet. Right now, almost all shops and buses close at sundown for the Iftar, or breaking of the fast. After they have eaten, things will start up again. I was in Ramallah on Thursday night and even after midnight there were people (kids included!) shopping and eating everywhere. This may have been unique because the celebration is approaching and it is like Christmas around here in terms of shopkeepers pulling out all the stops. Dama
There are also some foods that are unique to Ramadan, most noticeably "atayef"- or what we Americans have fondly termed "Ramadan pancakes." This picture shows a pan that I helped our host put together one evening. Typically, the outer "pancakes" are filled with either cheese or a walnut/sugar/cinnamon mixture. They are quite tasty!
Slowly but surely I am adjusting to life here as "normal"- and yet doing my best to remain alert to all the new things we are encountering and trying to absorb the culture, food and language whenever possible. I have appreciated staying in touch with people at home- emails are always welcome!
2 comments:
So warm and newsy....I appreciate how you share your thoughts in a very approachable manner. And those sticky notes are helpful, right? Keep up the good blogging! SSS
so much to read so little time. hope your having fun.
-aj
Post a Comment