Friday, November 14, 2008

"There is never enough time to do everything, but there is always enough time to do the most important thing."


It's worth writing another blog so soon just to put up a few more pictures of Seattle- and also a picture an Oxfam event I participated in yesterday. Oxfam is really good at media stunts that get people's attention and they have done a lot of events with their "Big Heads"- drawing attention to a variety of issues through the G8. This weekend the G20 is meeting in DC and there are a lot of related protests and events, including an Oxfam stunt this morning. The usual "Big Heads" did not arrive from the UK in time, so we used these cut-outs instead- but I think it still went well. We did a series of events- "deliberating" whether to bail out the banks, then the insurance companies. Finally we got to bailing out Global Poverty and didn't have any money left- but celebrated anyway because in the end, what does it really matter? The White House is in the background (where Bush was hosting the Group of 20 today)- but unfortunately it was a hazy day so it's hard to see. The best part was seeing Nancy, one of the Oxfam staffers at CHANGE this summer (a theme this week, it seems...)

I've been thinking a lot about the future this week. I go through phases of contemplating the future and completely avoiding it. Often I am too absorbed in the here and now to think too far into the future. It's such a vast expanse of space. In many ways that is why I am so privileged. My expansive future, full of choices and new directions, is what sets me apart from most people in this world who don't have those choices. Poverty, after all, is basically a lack of choice. A lack of choice about what to have for dinner- or even to have dinner at all. A lack of choices about where to live, what school to attend, what to study, what career to choose...

I have an abundance of choices and I am grateful for them, but as yet very uncertain about the appropriate direction to take. This week threw something of a stumbling block in the future, and while I'm sure we'll figure it out- it's not an easy path to navigate.

As it is, I have no choice but to spend the next few hours working on a paper. :) I had hoped to make it to some of the protests about the G20 or Prop8, but alas... schoolwork calls. If anyone wants to discuss the tragedy that is the passing of Prop8, though, I'm always willing...The picture is of the Seattle skyline from the Space Needle, but focused on one of the wires that circle the deck. Cousin Kristina seems to like this photo, so I thought I'd share... For more cool pictures of the weekend I recommend checking out Kristina's photos.

No comments: