Sunday, June 14, 2009

"There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Greetings to old friends and new, as this blog starts to become more and more about my coming year in Palestine. After a long process of applications, interviews and discernment, I am now beginning to prepare and pack my bag to head to the Holy Land. I will be participating in the ELCA's Young Adults in Global Mission program- more information about the entire program is available on their website.

So far my travels have taken me to Europe, Africa and Asia, so the Middle East will be an entirely new experience, but one that I am very much looking forward to. I have been interested in the Arab/Israeli conflict for quite awhile and I am looking forward to learning about it on a much deeper level. Most of all, I am looking forward to living and working with Palestinians, making new friends and experiencing a new culture.

I do not know yet where exactly my placement will be or what I will be doing- but I should find out later this summer and I will be sure to pass along the details. I depart August 19 for Chicago and will be there with all YAGM participants for about a week before the six of us heading to the Holy Land will fly together to Tel Aviv.

It is sure to be an adventure and I will do my best to share it with all of you, but never hesitate to send me an email if you want to talk more about something I've shared or just want to say hi!

No comments: